Thursday, June 12, 2008

working guy


These are strange days.I have graduated from my program and have started working.

I am not yet certified in my field so I cannot prescribe meds yet.

I can however work as an APRN for six months after I graduate while in this delightful process of being certified. See the Minnesota Board of Nursing website

What that means for what I can do is unclear though. It seems I can legally perform as a P/MH CNS minus the prescribing. But nobody is willing to reimburse my employer until I am certified, and credentialed.

I naively thought this clause was put in the statute so we could practice right after we graduated...

If anyone out there has experience practicing in this strange twilight zone any feedback would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Ásdís said...

Blessaður!
gott blogg hjá þér og gangi þér vel í nýja jobbinu.
kærlig hilsen
Ásdis

Anonymous said...

I am currently in your situation Gisli and am unable to practice as an APRN. My employer has chosen to leave me in my current RN position until I have been certified and credentialed. I am not happy about this, but can understand that if they are not paid APRN wages for my services they certainly can't pay me. On the other hand it seems very cruel to tell someone that they can pratice as an APRN after graduation when in actuality they can not due to 3rd party reimbursments.

What I find even more frustrating is the certification process itself. All the paperwork that has to be sent into ANCC to verify our education is a little rediculous. If we had not graduated from an approved program, the director of the program would not sign our application to take the exam. I am gload that they at least have a computerized exam for my specialty now, but couldn't they put the applications on the internet as well to speed things up a bit. Why must we use snail mail to send everything in and why must they use snail mail to send us our window for taking the exam. I wish someone would help the ANCC update a little.

APNA said...

It is kind of frustrating is it not?

Those are excellent questions. Why does it take so long/ What interest does ANCC in having this process take such a long time? It is not like grad school is cheap or there is an overflow of psych APRN's out there.

Surely our applications could be processed faster, and we could be emailed our ATT, e.g.

This lack of streamlining kind of reminds me of governemnt agencies back home...

PS. Thx for you comment. It is good to know there is somebody out there... ;)