Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I am a psych nurse. Now what?


These are the things that came to mind.


The opportunity to help. The autonomy. Helping people one on one, having more chance of having a positive influence in peoples lives. Developing my own style or approach in therapy, become respected in my field. Having the ability and credentials to have a real impact on things. Really making something happen. Touching peoples live in a deep and meaningful way. Creating a space for me and the client to work in and existing comfortably in that space.



Some more infantile and simplistic aspects do pop up though, that is a part of my humanity too: Doing something that is recognized as complicated and requiring skill (unlike nursing??). The respect. Not having to wear scrubs. Getting respect from environment.




In my experience the more ego driven things do not last though. They will not and do not sustain me through the hard times, the trying times and all the moments of truth that lie ahead and behind.




A sincere desire to do good, and a passion for the field. Those are the bigg'uns, for me... today...




Then it helps to get paid too

No comments: